or Sausage Con Queso
I was first introduced to this recipe from my college roommate from New Mexico-(many years ago). We made this a lot, we should have called it "The Freshman 20 dip" it's not so figure friendly, but oh, is it good, and so addictive! I still make it today for game night, brunches, Superbowl Sunday, or when ever my husband craves it!
- 1-32 oz. (large) box of "Mexican" Velveeta Cheese (the Mexican flavor has jalapeno peppers in it, and the box has a purple marked corner.)
- 1- 16 oz. (1 lb.) Jimmy Dean "Hot" sausage roll.
- 2 cans of "original" Ro Tel (diced tomatoes & green chilies)-do not drain; add liquid and contents from both cans.
- 1 'shake' of Tapatio hot sauce (opt.)-my secret ingredient that just gives it another spicy kick!
- 1 bag of hearty corn tortilla rounds (like Mission brand or any chip that's thick enough to not break in the dip)
- Celery stalks (opt.)-my favorite way to eat this yummy dip.
- Break up sausage with spatula in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat until sausage is browned and fully cooked. Set aside cooked sausage onto paper toweled lined platter to drain extra oil.
- Remove Velveeta from packaging, dice in small cubes. Put cubes in microwave safe bowl and cook in the microwave, checking the melting process ever so often and stirring until fully melted.
- Add cooked sausage, all contents of both Ro Tel cans and 1 shake or more of Tapatio hot sauce too melted cheese; Stir & put back in microwave to heat through again.
- Serve with "hardy" corn tortilla chips & celery stalks.
Slow-Cooker method: To fill a large slow-cooker for a potluck or party; double the recipe. The ingredients above will fill a large slow-cooker half way.
- Turn your slow-cooker to high and add the diced cubes of Velveeta and the cans of Ro Tel; juice and all. Place lid on slow-cooker and cook on high.
- Meanwhile brown sausage and then add to slow-cooker using a slotted spoon; discard the remaining oil.
- Cook until cheese melts; about 2 hours, stirring half way through. (This cooking time is based on the doubled recipe. If not doubling; check after a 1 hour).
- Add 1 'shake' or more of Tapatio hot sauce; stir and serve immediately.