The soy sauce gives the barbecue sauce a dark rich color. It's also great with cocktail franks*(see below).
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
1 1/3 cups kethup, divided
3 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Tobasco sauce (opt.)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine ground beef, pork, 1/3 cup ketchup, bread crumbs, egg, onion flakes, garlic salt and black pepper in medium bowl. Mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into 1-inch meatballs and place in two 15x10-inch jelly roll pans or shallow roasting pans.
- Bake 18 minutes or until browned.
- Transfer meatballs to slow cooker.
- Mix remaining 1 cup ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, soy sauce, vinegar and tobasco sauce in a clean medium bowl-(don't use same bowl that the raw meat was in). Pour over meatballs.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4 hours. Makes about 4 dozen meatballs
Cocktail Franks Variation:* (I recommend to use Hillshire Farm "beef" Lil' Smokies-they taste better than other brands I've tried)
- Arrange 2-16 oz. packages of Lil' Smokies in slow cooker.
- Combine 1 cup ketchup, with sugar, tomato paste, soy sauce, vinegar and tobasco sauce; pour over franks and cook on LOW 4 hours.