1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed (top sirloin).
Extra virgin olive oil
2-4 oz. cans of mild diced green chilies.
1 large whole onion, peeled (don't cut up the onion; its easier to "fish" out of the crock pot whole).
2 garlic cloves, peeled.
2-19 oz. cans of mild enchilada sauce.
Large can refried beans
10 to 20 Ready to cook large tortilla dough rounds (Tortillaland or other brand).
Shredded mexican cheese mix or shredded Monterrey jack cheese.
Large Crock Pot (slow cooker)
Cuisinart or Blender
- Mix together the 6 dry seasonings in a bowl and set aside.
- Pat dry the beef cubes with a paper towel (moisture on meat prevents browning).
- Season the beef on both sides with the dry season mix.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat up olive oil on medium high heat.
- Brown all sides of beef cubes; a few batches at a time (don't over crowd). Add more oil and reduce the heat if you need to. Once browned, place beef into crock pot. (Browning seals up the moisture in the meat so you get a more tender and flavorful result).
- Nestle the onion down into the middle of the beef cubes; add the garlic cloves, 2 cans of diced green chilies and pour the 2 cans of enchilada sauce over the top.
- Cover Crock pot with lid and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until meat is tender and easy to shred with a fork.
- Once meat is tender turn off the crock pot. Remove meat with slotted spoon into a large bowl or onto a platter; set aside.
- Take out onion and garlic. Cut the onion in half and place, along with the garlic, into a Cuisinart or blender. Add 1 cup of the crock pot liquid to the blender as well, and blend until onion pieces are dissolved into sauce.
- Pour the rest of the crock pot sauce into a large sauce pan, add the onion-garlic sauce blend to the sauce pan as well. Bring the sauce to a boil and then simmer, until the red sauce is reduced a little and thickened.
- Shred the beef with 2 forks and place back into crock pot except for 1/2 cup of the beef shreds; set aside.
- Add to the crock pot about 1 cup of red sauce or just enough sauce to moisten the shredded beef.
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup of beef into the red sauce in the sauce pan-this is your smothered sauce.
- Cook tortillas on a cast iron comal or pancake griddle; keep the cooked tortillas inside a paper towel lined tortilla warmer or wrap the cooked tortillas in clean kitchen towels and then tinfoil around the towels to keep warm.
- Heat refried beans in a microwave safe bowl with a paper towel on top; when done, cover to keep warm.