Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
One of my favorite comfort foods!
- 1 small cooked roast chicken; meat removed from bone and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 3-4 oz. cans diced mild green chilies; 2 for filling, 1 can for sauce
- 1-8 oz. package cream cheese; cubed and softened
- 1/2 cup of sour cream; divided (1/4 cup for the filling, and another 1/4 cup for sauce)
- 1-15 oz. can of Great Northern White Beans; rinsed and drained
- 2 cups Monterey Jack shredded cheese; divide in half-1 cup for filling 1 cup for topping
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper; 4 turns of the grinder or a generous pinch.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion; minced
- 1 clove garlic; minced
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-15 oz. can green chile enchilada sauce; mild
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- a half a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 8 flour tortillas
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, 2 cans of green chilies, the softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup of sour cream, white beans, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the minced onion and stir occasionally until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 3 minutes, then add the minced garlic and stir for about a 1 minute. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and garlic; stir and cook for 3 minutes to cook out the raw flour. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Keep whisking until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened. Add the enchilada sauce and the remaining can of green chilies, cook over medium heat stirring constantly; turn the heat down once the sauce starts to bubble. Simmer the sauce until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon; remove from heat and stir in the salt, pepper, and remaining 1/4 cup of sour cream (taste test and add more salt & pepper as needed); set aside.
- Grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Spread about 1 cup of the sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- If needed microwave all the tortillas together for 30 seconds or more if too stiff to roll up. Place all eight tortillas on a clean surface and spoon each tortilla with an equal amount of the chicken/bean filling, Roll the tortillas up and place seam side down in the baking dish. Fit 6 rolled tortillas width-wise and 2 rolled tortillas length-wise down the side of the 9x13 pan.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the rolled tortillas, spreading evenly with a spatula. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake for 30 minutes or more until bubbling, hot and lightly browned on top.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Serve with chips and salsa.