Crockpot Tortellini Soup with Turkey Sausage and Spinach
- 32 oz. box of chicken stock
- 2-15 oz. cans of Italian style diced tomatoes
- 1-8oz. block of cream cheese; cut into small chunks.
- 1/8 cup agave nectar (find in the sugar aisle)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes-omit if your using hot Italian sausage.
- 1 parmesan cheese wedge with rind-need the wedge for two reasons- 1. Shred enough parmesan cheese for garnish. 2. Slice off the rind and reserve to add to the crockpot.
- 1 & 1/4 lb. Ground Italian turkey sausage hot or regular
- 9 oz. package of refrigerated cheese tortellini
- a large handful of ready to eat baby spinach or chopped kale
- To a large crockpot add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, cream cheese chunks, agave nectar, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and cheese rind. Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage with a little olive oil in a medium high skillet. With a slotted spoon remove sausage from skillet to a paper toweled plate, let cool and then keep in fridge until the soup base is done.
- After 5 hours, remove the cheese rind and discard. Add to the soup base the cooked sausage, tortellini and the handful (or as much as you want) of spinach or kale; stir and replace lid and cook for 30- 40 minutes more until the pasta is cooked.
Garnish the soup with parmesan shreds.