The Sun*Bird seasoning mix has the recipe on the back but I add more mushrooms and chestnuts than what it asks for and it is just as good. The packet makes about 8 lettuce wraps. My recipe is doubled for 16 or more wraps, because we like it as a main course.
What you need:
- 2 packets of Sun*Bird chicken lettuce wraps seasoning mix (Smiths/Kroger grocery stores)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp of Soy Sauce
- 3 tsp of brown or white sugar
- 3 1bs of ground chicken or turkey
- 2 cans (5 oz. each) sliced chestnuts; drained and finely diced.
- 12oz. package of sliced button mushrooms; finely diced or 2-6oz. packages; finely diced.
- 6 green onions; sliced
- 2 large heads of iceberg lettuce
- Cooked white or brown rice
- chopped peanuts
- (opt. carrot shreds and bean sprouts)
- In a large glass bowl, blend together season packets, water, soy sauce and sugar. Add all the other ingredients except for the lettuce and rice. I mix it all together with my hands. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to marinade mixture.
- Cut iceberg lettuce heads in half; wash and drain well. Separate whole lettuce leaves.
- In an oiled large skillet, cook half the marinade mixture at a time on high heat for 1 min. Reduce heat to medium, cook 7 min. stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and keep warm. Cook the other half of the marinade mixture.
Fill lettuce leaf with cooked rice and meat mixture. Serve topped with chopped peanuts, soy sauce, hot chili sauce and or chinese hot mustard, as desired. Its also great with carrot shreds and/or bean sprouts.